Volume 1 — Number 1
- Michael Ignatieff is the president of Central European University.
- Laura Kipnis is a professor in the department of Radio/TV/Film at Northwestern University and is the author most recently of Unwanted Advances: Sexual Paranoia Comes to Campus.
- David Grossman’s most recent novel is A Horse Walks into a Bar.
- Ramachandra Guha is the author of Gandhi: The Years That Changed the World.
- Thomas Chatterton Williams is the author most recently of Self Portrait in Black and White: Unlearning Race.
- Hannah Sullivan is the author of Three Poems and The Work of Revision.
- Mark Lilla is Professor of Humanities at Columbia University and the author of The Once and Future Liberal.
- Helen Vendler is the A. Kingsley Porter University Professor Emerita at Harvard University, and the author of Our Secret Discipline: Yeats and Lyric Form.
- Sean Wilentz is the George Henry Davis 1886 Professor of American History at Princeton University and the author most recently of No Property in Man: Slavery and Antislavery at the Nation’s Founding.
- Celeste Marcus is the managing editor of Liberties.
- Adam Zagajewski’s most recent book of poems is Asymmetry.
- Louise Glück is the author, among other books, of Faithful and Virtuous Night and Poems 1962-2012.
- Jim Wolcott is the author of Critical Mass: Four Decades of Essays, Reviews, Hand Grenades and Hurrahs.
- Andrea Marcolongo is the author of The Ingenious Language: Nine Epic Reasons to Love Greek.
- Eli Lake writes a column for Bloomberg View.
- Sally Satel is a visiting professor of psychiatry at Columbia University’s Irving Medical Center and a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute.
- Moshe Halbertal’s new book Nahmanides: Law & Mysticism will be published this fall.
- Joshua Bennett teaches English at Dartmouth University. He is the author of Being Property Once Myself: Blackness and the End of Man and The Sobbing School.
- David Thomson is the author most recently of Murder and the Movies. His new books A Light in the Dark: A History of Movie Directors and Disaster Mon Amour will be published next year.
- Julius Margolin was the author of Journey to the Land of the Zeks and Back: A Memoir of the Gulag, translated by Stefani Hoffman, which will be published by Oxford University Press this fall.
- Clara Collier is a writer living in California.
- Shawn McCreesh is a writer living in Washington, DC. The names in his essay have been changed out of respect for the privacy of its subjects.