Liberties is a publication of the Liberties Journal Foundation, a 501(c)3 nonpartisan organization based in Washington, D.C. devoted to educating the general public about the history, current trends, and possibilities of culture and politics.
The Foundation seeks to inform today’s cultural and political leaders, deepen the understanding of citizens, and inspire the next generation to participate in the democratic process and public service.
Liberties, a journal of Culture and Politics, is published quarterly in Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer by Liberties Journal Foundation.
Liberties Journal is available for a reduced rate by subscription; from your favorite bookstore — Indiebound.org, Bookshop.org; or from online booksellers — Amazon and Barnes & Noble.
Annual subscriptions provide a discount from the individual cover price and include complete digital access to current and previous issues along with the printed version. Subscriptions can be ordered from libertiesjournal.com. Professional discounts for active military; faculty, students, and education administrators; government employees; those working in the not-for-profit sector. Gift subscriptions are also available at libertiesjournal.com.
Liberties is distributed to booksellers in the United States by Publishers Group West; in Canada by Publishers Group Canada; and, internationally by Ingram Publisher Services International.
Liberties Journal supports copyright. Copyright is a necessary engine of creativity, free speech, and culture. In honoring copyrights and buying Liberties, you support our writers and poets and allow us to continue to publish in print and online.
As a matter of principle, Liberties Journal does not accept advertising or other funding sources that might influence our independence. We look to our readers and those individuals and institutions that believe in our mission for contributions — large and small — to support this not-for-profit publication. If you are interested in making a donation to Liberties, please contact us by email at [email protected] or phone: 202-891-7159.
- Liberties accepts proposals and submissions for essays. We accept poetry submissions.
- For all proposals and submissions, please email [email protected] or mail to Liberties Journal, 1604 New Hampshire Avenue, Washington, DC 20009, ATTN: Editorial.
- For poetry submissions: please send us several poems. We usually publish between three to five poems by a poet so that our readers will have a richer acquaintance with their work. We welcome poems of any length. We also are committed to publishing poems in translation.
- We will respond to submissions as swiftly as possible. Be mindful of the fact that Liberties is a quarterly publication with an editorial staff of two. We do not have the capacity to respond with alacrity to all submission queries. Please be patient. Emailing repeatedly will have the same effect as pressing an elevator button repeatedly.
- We know that writers cannot afford to subscribe to every publication to which they send proposals and submissions, but we must assume if you want us to publish your work it is because you are familiar with the kind of work we publish. Check the Now Showing feature on our website for examples of the essays that appear in our pages.
- Liberties does not publish reviews. The world already has plenty of them. But we are happy to consider, and frequently to publish, essays that use books, films, art exhibitions, music, plays, etc. as occasions for larger themes and ideas. See, for example, Becca Rothfeld’s “Sanctimony Literature”, or Nicholas Lemann’s “Losing Our Religion”.
- We are keenly interested in discovering and welcoming new writers.